Yes, this is a rant, and I have ranted about this on the air, multiple times, but it never ceases to amaze me how terribly people drive in this city! I am not entirely sure why everyone is in such a hurry as it takes literally minutes to get from one end of our town to the other. I used to walk everywhere before I had a car and it still didn’t take me long to get where I needed to go.
Here are a few things that I have noticed that are concerning to me, and likely to many others:
1. People running RED lights! This is a constant problem. I am not sure if it’s because drivers are not paying attention, are looking down at their phones, or they just don’t really care.
2. People not stopping at STOP signs. This is also something that I have seen to be a problem. Rolling stops, Stop-tionals, etc. It’s not a choice, if there is a stop sign, you must come to a complete stop!
3. People not paying attention to Pedestrian Crossings. As I mentioned above, I used to walk everywhere. The pedestrian crossings are there to insure that people can cross safely, some even have flashing lights, but for some reason not all drivers here stop for pedestrians, or seem to even notice the flashing lights and just blast through. I have seen some pretty close calls over the last few years, and it needs to stop! (Note: I realize that sometimes pedestrians walk out in front of vehicles and that it is sometimes the pedestrians fault that there is a near miss!).
4. Get off your PHONES! I still find it insane how many people I see driving around talking or texting. This is a crime! It’s also so, so dangerous, and there is NO point! It’s very easy to pull over and park, or pull into a parking lot nearby before you answer your phone, or return a text.
5. Excessive Speeding. Seriously, I ask again, why is everyone in such a hurry? Where are you all going that you need to drive 70 kms down a city street? It’s the summer! People are out walking around, walking their dogs, kids are out playing! Driving that fast, especially in residential areas is just a disaster waiting to happen.
6. Drivers who don’t use their turning signals. Every car comes with them, use them. If they’re burnt out, replace them!
While I realize, we’re not perfect, and we make mistakes. I feel like we as a city need to make a better effort when it comes to driving safely! It really doesn’t take much to be a good driver! Just obey the basic rules of the road, open your eyes & pay attention. Be Safe Friends! End Rant.